Dedicated to Domination

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

"Freedom is the Ultimate Goal"

So a few weeks ago I went to a concert at The Norva. I have been to quite a few shows here. Usually well priced and a variety of acts tend to show up. Unfortunately lately, it has all been MTV emo/pop punk crap. Before you jump on me, there is some good emo out there.

Anyway, picture my expression when I found out THE hip-hop band, The Roots, was going to be there. I have seen The Roots about 7 or 9 times. Great show.

However I was surprised/shocked/confused when I saw security at the door. Depending on where you were this might not have been a big deal, but this was the first time I had ever seen either. So here I am at my first rap show at the Norva and I have to get frisked and patted down. I was furious.

I guess the owners, or whoever, think that since it is a rap show that it will be violent. Or, perhaps they thought there would be "thugs". Anyone that listens to The Roots knows that there are no thugs that listen to them. They are considered conscious rappers. So security was not an issue.

Unfortunately, the first reason I can come up with is that because there were going to be more black people there, they felt they needed to have security to keep "us" (concert goers, all races I might add) safe. Now perhaps I am being a bit crazy. Maybe the the band asked for the added security. However I find this hard to believe.
The questions that remain are...
When will I as a black man, be able to:
  • Ride the elevator with an older white woman, and not have her grab her purse tighter and try to avoid eye contact.
  • Stand with a group of my peers and not be seen as lazy, goofing off, etc., (this happens at my job)
  • Gather in a public place with 3 or more other black folks and not be "up to something"

In no way am I a paranoid black man. I know that as a whole this country has come a long way since the forties. We still have a long way to go. Racial profiling has got to stop. So that it will be okay for say, a white man to be in a predominately black neighborhood and not be buying drugs, a person to be in a turban and not be a terrorist, a woman to express her opinion and not be a feminist.

As always, I'll take comments on this. That is, if anyone is still reading this since I have been busy and a bit lazy with my posts.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home