Dedicated to Domination

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Food for Thought

How come the food at the supermarket has a sell by date. I think this is almost completely useless. I think what people should be more concerned with is the eat by date. Which if you look closely is not on any food containers. The sell by date does me no good if I have no idea how long something can last once I have bought or opened it. I even have examples.

One of the most important dates is the born on date that is on beer bottles and cans. Well, since a beer stays sealed, it shouldn't go bad right? Wrong. They go bad anyway and I have no idea how long I have before they do. Now, I understand some people would say that you shouldn't have beer around long enough for it to go bad. For the most part I agree with this. What am I supposed to do though, if I buy a pumpkin ale in November, which is the only time they are available, and since it is one of my favorite types of beer, decide I would like to save one in the fridge to drink on my birthday? Well, I tried it. It was skunk. I didn't know there was a top secret time limit on my foods.

Deli meat is another one. I think deli meat smells weird anyway, even when it is fresh. So I can't use that sense. Old meat looks like new meat, can't use that one either. I am pretty sure they both feel the same, so that one is out. I can't hear age, unless you are an old person, which you could just be a young smoker, or an old smoker. Regardless, that is out too. I am left with, you guessed it, taste. Well if I put bad food in my mouth, (I stepped around the pun you wanted to hear), then the damage is done. There needs to be a better system. Do not even get me started on something from say, Trader Joe's. Nothing there has preservatives. It is not 1872 everything should have preservatives. Especially since there is no date and I don't know how long my blackberry jam can survive outside of my ice cellar. Or, for that matter, if I could even have an ice cellar in 1872.

Pretty much all food falls into two categories:
1. With preservatives
2. Without preservatives

This classification serves only to disturb me more, because either way, I have no idea what my "Eat Before It Kills Me (EBIK)" date is.

Friends; I urge you to go through your fridge and throw all of your condiments out, I guarantee they are old. Probably not bad, but who knows? Why risk it. Enemies; Eat drink and be merry! Industry; I will allow you to use my EBIK system. You now owe me a dollar.

So, in summary. Throw everything away. Or don't. I don' t know and neither do you.

P.S: Please don't reply to me about expiration dates. This is not the same thing, and as everybody can tell you, they have eaten something past the expiration date and not died.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • According to Christine, lunch meat with a gross film on it or lunch meat that 'smells bad' needs to be chucked. I agree with your EBIK system as Christine's sense of smell is much better than mine, yet she has the uncanny ability to block out my dying gerbil in my ass farts. The Talented Ms. Dietz.

    By Blogger BK, at 4:21 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger christine , at 12:34 PM  

  • Brian : Deli Meat as Erika : Milk.

    I've been known to throw milk out the day after it was purchased because it smells bad.

    By Blogger erika, at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home