Dedicated to Domination

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Top Ten Hip-Hop Albums of 2008

Man, I cannot believe I let a whole year pass without blogging. I should try much harder at this thing. Well, I did travel a lot this year, but that shouldn't be an excuse since I had a computer every step of the way. I will try to be brief with this list, include three or four good songs per album , and about 5 honorable mentions. Without further ado, let's get to it!

PART 1.


10. Ludacris: Theatre of the Mind
As always, another solid delivery from Luda. However, this was a thin attempt at a concept album, supposed to show the many sides of the artist. I think it was a lame attempt to justify his random song choices. Listen, I am a Luda fan, I have every album, but the man just cannot string together a solid delivery. Easily one of the most versitile rappers in the game with great delivery, bonkers flow, good beat selection, etc., I often find his albums disjointed. It always seems like, 3 hot songs, skit, freestyle, 3 filler songs, something so off the wall (he used a He-Man theme song sample once) that it works, and 2 bananas songs. Stand outs include "MVP" (first southern rapper on a Premier beat), "I do it for Hip-Hop feat Nas and Jay-Z" (holds his own with two legends), and "Everybody Hates Chris".


9. David Banner: The Greatest Story Every Told

I don't ever have much to say about David Banner except that he is underrated. His production gets more shine than his albums do but they are always educated, well done, both lyrically and production wise, and they make a solid social commentary. He gets me hype like Dead Prez, but he doesn't make me want to burn a city down, so that is a bonus. If you are looking for a less revolutionary delivery but with a broader message for everyone I suggest you check him out. Stand outs include "So Long", "Suicide Doors (feat UGK)", and "Shawty Say (feat. Lil Wayne)".





8. Q-Tip: The Renaissance
Not much to say about this album either. If you like A Tribe Called Quest, but realize a reunion album is probably never going to happen, then this is the one for you. My only gripe is that as much as I like Tip lyrically, his voice grates on me by the end of an album. That is why Tribe worked so well for me, because I got to hear him half as much. I do love his production though, which he does mainly himself. Unfortunately all this album does after a few listens is make me yearn for the old school days of non stop ATCQ radio rotation. Stand outs include "Move (prod by J Dilla)", "Getttin' up", "You", and "We Fight feat. Raphael Saadiq".





7. Scarface: Emiritus
I used to hate Scarface. Could not stand his voice. To me he always sounded like he had just inhaled a bunch of smoke and was trying to talk without exhaling. I've gotten past it to enjoy probably one of the greatest southern rappers ever. He lead the way for UGK, Outkast, T.I. you name it. Solid delivery. I get a little tired of rappers always talking about retirement though and this is supposedly his last album. So were the last 2. However, for anyone doubting that this is where southern hip-hop got its start, he is going to prove you otherwise. Last year's album was also one of my favorites too! Stand outs inlcude "High Powered", "Forgot About Me feat. Lil Wayne and Bun B" and "Can't Get Right feat. Bilal"




6. Common: Universal Mind Control
The critics trashed this album. They said it wasn't serious enough, lyrical enough and that he was too old to make music like this. I love it. For one thing, far too often these days no rapper will let one producer handle all of the offering. The Neptunes did this whole album, but unlike the disaster that was Electric Circus things seemed to fall perfectly into place which offered a continous sound to the album. This album is fun start to finish but without being corny. Light hearted, great for a party, nice to run with. I have nothing bad to say about this album. He even got Kanye on a song without the stupid vocoder. Stand outs include "Universal Mind Control", "Sex 4 Sugar", and "What a World feat. Chester French (straight old school Kurtis Blow)".

1 Comments:

  • YO!
    Thank you for shouting out our song on the Common record. Glad that you dig it!
    D.A. (of Chester French)

    By Blogger D.A. Wallach, at 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home